Python3 on MacOsX Lion?

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 3 18:37:07 EST 2012

On 2-1-2012 20:32, K Richard Pixley wrote:
> Where would I look to find the current expected status of python3 on MacOsX Lion?
>
> The distributed binaries aren't capable of allowing extensions that use gcc.
>
> I can build the source naked, but then it lacks some libraries, notably, readline.
>
> Attempting to build the full Mac packages fails, even with the few tiny patches I used
> for 2.7.2.
>
> Is anyone working on this?  Are there pre-release patches available?
>
> Should I be asking elsewhere?
>
> --rich

I suggest installing it via Homebrew. Install homebrew first if you haven't already,
http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

Then,

$ brew install python3
 ....wait a bit...
$ python3
 ...profit!

(It's probably wise to brew install gdbm, readline, and sqlite first. These will then be
used by the python brew installations. If you don't, they might be unavailable or be the
older system-provided versions)

Regards
Irmen