.format vs. %

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 00:58:23 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:59:43 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 4:00 pm, Ethan Furman <et... at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>>> %-style formatting isn't going away.
>>
>> You may want to freshen up on the definition of "deprecation".
>
> I'm sure Ethan knows the definition of deprecation. I'm sure he also
> knows that % formatting is NOT deprecated. Please stop spreading FUD
> about Python features.

I can't believe I'm taking Rick's side here, but the docs do say:

"Note: The formatting operations described here are obsolete and may
go away in future versions of Python. Use the new String Formatting in
new code."

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/stdtypes.html#old-string-formatting-operations

I consider that a statement of deprecation, even if it doesn't use the
term explicitly or describe a definite timeline for removal.

Cheers,
Ian