Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:20:46 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> Felinx Lee wrote:
>
>> I have removed those packages (girlfriend and others) from PyPI forever, I
>> apologize for that.
>
> The thought police has won :(

There's nothing wrong with cracking jokes, but sometimes a large
central repository is the wrong place for them. If I made a joke
package whose name happened to be very similar to some other package,
then no matter how funny and non-offensive the joke is, it would be a
poor submission to PyPI. But that's not "thought police"; there are
plenty of other avenues for publication. Felinx Lee still has the
freedom to think his joke, to write his joke in code, and to share his
joke with others - but other people have the freedom to get offended
when it's published in places that they think are racist, or whatever
it was. (I never did follow how sexism is somehow a subset of racism,
to be honest. Are women a different race from nerds?)

Chris Angelico