How To Use Python/GDAL to create a KML file from an Image?

Roger Zimmerman roger.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:55:54 EST 2012

Hi All,

I'd have a contour image file, in either svg, gif or png format. I
know the GPS coordinates for the four corners of the image. I'd like
to create a KML file from that image. I will view the KML file in
Google Earth or ARCGIS.

I understand that GDAL can do this, and I saw a tutorial for
GDAL2TILES. But I would like to do this function within Python. As I
am using Python to create the contour from a countour2d function.

Any suggestions on how to Georeference an image in Python? ( to turn
an image file into a KML file that can be opened by Google Earth). Are
there example Python scripts of how to do it somewhere?

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers

Roger Zimmerman