Questions about "compiled" Python (beginner)

HoneyMonster someone at someplace.invalid
Sun Jan 29 12:57:10 EST 2012

I am new to Python (Python 2.7 on Linux). Research indicates that:

a) "Compiling" Python modules into intermediate bytecode marginally
improves load time.

b) The Python interpreter will use an already-prepared .pyc file if one
exists in the same directory as the .py.

That then, is presumably why for every .py file in my site-packages
directory there is a corresponding .pyc file.

Question 1: What then, are the .pyo files? I note that many of them are
identical to the .pyc, but that some differ.

Question 2: What happens if the .py file is changed and the .pyc is thus
made obsolete. Does the interpreter ignore the .pyc? If so, how does it
know? By the timestamp?

Thanks.