Using an object inside a class

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:44:35 EST 2012

I have a pretty complicated bit of code that I'm trying to convert to more
clean OOP.

Without getting too heavy into the details I have an object which I am
trying to make available inside another class. The reference to the object
is rather long and convoluted but what I find is that within my class
definition this works:

class Class1:
    def __init__(self):

    def method1(self):
         foo.bar.object

But this tells me "global name foo is not defined":

class Class1:
     def __init__(self):
           foo.bar.object

Obviously I want the object to be available throughout the class (I left
out the self.object = etc for simplicity).

Any ideas why I can reference foo inside the method but not in __init__?