Installing Python on CentOS 6 - a big pain

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Jan 18 13:00:47 EST 2012

   It turns out that installing Python 2.7.2 on CentOS 6.0 is a lot of
work.  Here are the official CentOS install instructions:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34515&forum=41

Not only do you have to build Python from source, you have to install
a lot of stuff before you can even build it.  Then you have to install
various Python packages from multiple sources.  Python doesn't work
with "yum"; you have to do it the hard way.

I know how to do all this, but it takes hours.  I'm bringing up
a bare dedicated server remotely, which is a routine operation.

    Python does not "just work".  I should be able to command
"yum install python27".  (And not clobber the Python 2.6 that
comes with CentOS.)

    This sort of thing is why Python is losing market share.

					John Nagle