NaN, Null, and Sorting

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jan 13 14:04:48 EST 2012

With NaN, it is possible to get a list that will not properly sort:

--> NaN = float('nan')
--> spam = [1, 2, NaN, 3, NaN, 4, 5, 7, NaN]
--> sorted(spam)
[1, 2, nan, 3, nan, 4, 5, 7, nan]

I'm constructing a Null object with the semantics that if the returned
object is Null, it's actual value is unknown.

 From a purist point of view if it is unknown then comparison results
are also unknown since the actual value might be greater, lesser, or the
same as the value being compared against.

 From a practical point of view a list with Nulls scattered throughout
is a pain in the backside.

So I am strongly leaning towards implementing the comparisons such that
Null objects are less than other objects so they will always sort together.

Thoughts/advice/criticisms/etc?

~Ethan~