readline for mac python? (really, reproducing mac python packages)

K Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Sun Jan 1 19:49:59 EST 2012

I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac.

The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of
macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that
require gcc.

The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure
--enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I
end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline.

How do I get readline involved?

Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
the python.org binary packages?

--rich