Error importing __init__ declared variable from another package

Jason Veldicott jasonveldicott at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:38:33 EST 2012

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a simple configuration of modules as beneath, but an import error
> > is reported:
> >
> > /engine
> >    (__init__ is empty here)
> >    engine.py
> > /sim
> >    __init__.py
> >

> > The module engine.py imports a variable instantiated in sim.__init__ as
> > follows:
> >
> >    from sim import var_name
> >    var_name.func()
> >
> > The following error messaged is received on the func() call above
> (Eclipse
> > PyDev):
> >
> > "undefined variable from import: func"
> Are you rephrasing or is this really the error message? If so run your
> program again on the command-line. Then please cut and paste the error
> message together with the traceback.
> > Any idea why this is causing an error?
> What version of Python are you using?
> What does sim/__init__.py contain?

Thanks Peter.

I'm using Python 2.6, but it works at the command line.  The error only
appears in Eclipse as a red cross in the margin.  The exact error msg, as
appears in a floating text caption on mouse over, is as I mentioned
(capitalised).

Perhaps it is some issue in PyDev, maybe related to the version of Python
I'm using.

I'm in the process of trying to solve another related import problem, and
wished to resolve this one in the hope that it might shed light on the
other. But as it works beside the error icon appearing, I might just ignore
it and spare the trouble of precise identification of cause.

Jason