PyWart: Language missing maximum constant of numeric types!

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:32:27 EST 2012

On Feb 26, 6:29 am, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure there are float INFINITIES that work fine for ints and floats,
> but where is the consistency?

Sure, there are all of the COMPLEXITIES of floating point arithmetic
but I want to ignore all of that and demand ridiculous consistencies.
Why should I have to do float(some_int) < float('inf') when it's a far
better use of my time to spend days if not weeks bemoaning yet another
language wart? Why should I be expected to know what float('inf')
actually represents before making stupid demands like:

> INFINITY need not be a int or a float or
> a str, or whatever.

Please provide a non-contrived use case of an "infinite string".

> INFINITY should be at the very least a constant of the math module.

Why? This isn't a mathematical concept of 'infinite' when you're
talking about comparing against "str, or whatever". We need a more
appropriate location; please initiate a PEP to add the namespace
shit.rick.wants into the stdlib.