PyWart: Language missing maximum constant of numeric types!

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:25:02 EST 2012

On Feb 24, 6:35 pm, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I understand that a Python integer can run to infinity.  Quite how the
> illustrious rr manages to test for the length of a string that's already
> used all of the memory on his system has baffled me,

When did i ever say that i would need a string who's length is
INFINITY? In fact, i don't. My example was just that, as SIMPLIFIED
example of the problem that was the genesis of my question. In my
"real world" problem, i don't expect the string to EVER be more than
double digits in length. But as any good programmer knows, you never
want to solve problems as globally as possible. I need to do
comparisons on strings now, but maybe integers later, or who knows.
INFINITY comparisons are useful in many places.

> but I'm sure that
> all the people who frequent this list with their Phds, MScs or whatever
> will soon correct me.

I don't believe you'd need a Phd to understand my problem.