[pyxl] xlrd 0.7.2 released!

Adrian Klaver adrian.klaver at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:17:26 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:22:45 am Chris Withers wrote:
> On 22/02/2012 00:37, python-excel at raf.org wrote:
> > was good for previous versions. two reasons that spring to mind
> >
> > immediately are:
> >   - it makes it much easier to tell what version is installed
> >   - it makes it much easier to uninstall the package
> >
> > i know that both of these are things that the python community
> > does not yet seem to find useful but everyone else seems to.
>
> That's because it's no longer best practice to polute the global python
> installation by installing packages directly into it.
>
> The recommended wisdom nowadays is to use a virtualenv and then pip
> install the package.

I can see where that would be preferred when managing multiple versions of
Python, but not when using a single version.  The pip system does a good job of
managing package installs in the global context. As to the OPs original post, I
see the point. On Windows the installer is the point of entry for 'package'
management, going outside that can get confusing. I also understand setting up a
Windows installer is non-trivial. Assuming a Windows installer is not in the
offing, the OP might find it easier to use the Python packaging from here on out.
For an example, to find out information on a package:

aklaver at tucker:~/.pip$ pip  search xlrd
xlutils                   - Utilities for working with Excel files that require
both xlrd and xlwt
xlrd                      - Library for developers to extract data from
Microsoft Excel (tm) spreadsheet files
  INSTALLED: 0.7.2 (latest)
xlrd3                     - Library for developers to extract data from
Microsoft Excel (tm) spreadsheet files
xlrd1                     - library for extracting data from Microsoft Excel
spreadsheet files

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver at gmail.com