Python LOC, .exe size, and refactoring

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 04:31:15 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> While I think 60MB for a basic calculator app is taking the piss, this is
> 2011 not 1987 and we don't have to support floppy disks any more. 11MB
> for a GUI app is nothing to be worried about. That takes, what, 3 minutes
> to download even on a 512 kbps link?

There are other reasons for wanting to keep executable size down,
though - low-memory VMs and such (of course, "low-memory" still means
orders of magnitude more than yesterday's top-end box - the first
computer I ever used, my dad bought the super-enormous 20MB hard disk
option). But when you're looking at shrinking

> ... an 11MB exe down to 10.8MB

then it's pretty moot.

ChrisA