[semi OT]: Smartphones and Python?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Feb 16 12:38:17 EST 2012

On 2012-02-16, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> You claimed Jython is or will be available on Android. It's not and
> Jython isn't being ported to Dalvik and it has nothing to do with
> patents.  Android might use java a language, but the virtual machines
> are very different.  And no expired patents are going to change that
> fact.  Android simply isn't going to run the JVM anytime soon.

I got curious about Dalvik, and was looking at the Wikipedia page,
where it says that programs for Android are compiled into bytecode in
JVM compatible .class files.  Those files are then converted into .dex
files to run on Davlik.

I don't know much at all about Jython, but if it generates JVM byte
code, mightn't the same conversion to .dex be applicable?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know