Looking for PyPi 2.0...

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:31:10 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM, John Nagle wrote:
> On 2/8/2012 9:47 AM, Chris Rebert wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Nathan Rice
> > <nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com (mailto:nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com)> wrote:
> > > As a user:
> > > * Finding the right module in PyPi is a pain because there is limited,
> > > low quality semantic information, and there is no code indexing.
> > >

> CPAN does it right. They host the code. (PyPi is just a
> collection of links). They have packaging standards (PyPi
> does not.) CPAN tends not to be full of low-quality modules
> that do roughly the same thing.
>
> If you want to find a Python module, Google is more useful
> than PyPi.

Hopefully soon crate.io will be useful for finding modules ;) I have plans for it to try and, encourage people to host their code and encourage following packaging standards. I'm currently focused mostly on the backend stability (e.g. getting it stable) but emphasizing things that are generally good for the packaging ecosystem is something I hope to do.

> John Nagle
> --

Donald Stufft