Python vs. C++11

Henrik Faber hfaber at invalid.net
Wed Feb 15 03:58:41 EST 2012

On 15.02.2012 08:18, Tim Roberts wrote:
> sturlamolden <sturlamolden at yahoo.no> wrote:
>>
>> There are bigsimilarities between Python and the new C++ standard. Now
>> we can actually use our experience as Python programmers to write
>> fantastic C++ :-)
>
> This is more true than you might think.  For quite a few years now, I've
> been able to do an almost line-for-line translation of my Python programs
> to C++ programs.  (Microsoft has had a "for each" extension for a while
> that made this easier.)

I disagree. Unicode support comes for free with Python3+ while C++ it
still is a piece of crap (or something that you'll have to pass to
external libraries). The C++ standard library is nowhere nearly as
densely packed with features than Python's. For every little thing you
need some external dependencies. Language semantics aren't enough to
translate one language into another.

Best regards,
Henrik