Automatic Type Conversion to String

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Tue Feb 14 09:26:21 EST 2012

Am 14.02.2012 00:18, schrieb Bruce Eckel:
> I'm willing to subclass str, but when I tried it before it became a
> little confusing -- I think mostly because anytime I assigned to self
> it seemed like it converted the whole object to a str rather than a
> Path. I suspect I don't know the proper idiom for doing this -- any
> hints? Thanks ...

Could it be that you missed the fact that strings are immutable? That
means that you can't change the content of the object once it is
initialized. In particular, it means that you e.g. have to override
__new__ instead of __init__, because the content is already fixed when
the latter is called.

Python strings rather behave like Java strings than C++ strings.

Uli