M2crypto

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 19:28:29 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Mel Wilson <mwilson at the-wire.com> wrote:
> zigi wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> M2crypto
>>
>> __init__(self, alg, key, iv, op, key_as_bytes=0, d='md5',
>> salt='12345678', i=1, padding=1)
>>
>> I wont write app, using M2crypto and I can not understand what are the
>> arguments:
>> key, iv, op, salt ?
>> What they do ?
>
> I assume you're reading in <http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/m2crypto/api/>
> about M2Crypto.EVP.Cipher.
>
> Epydoc claims another victim.
>
> I'm having a lot of trouble finding documentation.  The obvious OpenSSL
> pages are kind of thin, too.  You might see some useful code in the EVP unit
> tests m2crypto/tests/test_evp.py in the m2crypto installation.

Not intending to be rude, but being perfectly serious: as a general
rule, if you don't know what an IV is you're probably getting yourself
into a lot of trouble working with low-level crypto libraries.

Two suggestions:

1. Describe what you're trying to do- I'll be able to help more if I
know what you're actually going for.

2. Try keyczar. It's not perfect, but it's a lot easier to get right.

Geremy Condra