Python usage numbers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Feb 12 12:21:27 EST 2012

In article
<e7f457b3-7d49-4c95-bd95-e0f27fa66137 at s8g2000pbj.googlegroups.com>,
 rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 10:51 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
> +comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:38:37 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > > Everything that displays text to a human needs to translate bytes into
> > > glyphs, and the usual way to do this conceptually is to go via
> > > characters. Pretending that it's all the same thing really means
> > > pretending that one byte represents one character and that each
> > > character is depicted by one glyph. And that's doomed to failure, unless
> > > everyone speaks English with no foreign symbols - so, no mathematical
> > > notations.
> >
> > Pardon me, but you can't even write *English* in ASCII.
> >
> > You can't say that it cost you £10 to courier your résumé to the head
> > office of Encyclopædia Britanica to apply for the position of Staff
> > Coördinator. (Admittedly, the umlaut on the second "o" looks a bit stuffy
> > and old-fashioned, but it is traditional English.)
> >
> > Hell, you can't even write in *American*: you can't say that the recipe
> > for the 20¢ WobblyBurger is © 2012 WobblyBurgerWorld Inc.
>
> [Quite OT but...] How do you type all this?
> [Note: I grew up on APL so unlike Rick I am genuinely asking :-) ]

What I do (on a Mac) is open the Keyboard Viewer thingie and try various
combinations of shift-control-option-command-function until the thing
I'm looking for shows up on a keycap.  A few of them I've got memorized
(for example, option-8 gets you a bullet €).  I would imagine if you
commonly type in a language other than English, you would quickly
memorize the ones you use a lot.

Or, open the Character Viewer thingie and either hunt around the various
drill-down menus (North American Scripts / Canadian Aboriginal
Syllabics, for example) or type in some guess at the official unicode
name into the search box.