Python usage numbers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Feb 12 12:11:46 EST 2012

In article <mailman.5730.1329065268.27778.python-list at python.org>,
 Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:48:36 -0500, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>
> >As Steven D'Aprano pointed out, it was missing some commonly used US
> >symbols such as ¢ or ©.

That's interesting.  When I wrote that, it showed on my screen as a cent
symbol and a copyright symbol.  What I see in your response is an upper
case "A" with a hat accent (circumflex?) over it followed by a cent
symbol, and likewise an upper case "A" with a hat accent over it
followed by copyright symbol.

Oh, for the days of ASCII again :-)

Not to mention, of course, that I wrote <colon><dash><close-paren>, but
I fully expect some of you will be reading this with absurd clients
which turn that into some kind of smiley-face image.

> 	Any volunteers to create an Extended Baudot... Instead of "letter
> shift" and "number shift" we could have a generic "encoding shift" which
> uses the following characters to identify which 7-bit subset of Unicode
> is to be represented <G>

I think that's called UTF-8.