Python usage numbers

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Sun Feb 12 10:55:17 EST 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:08:24 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> You can't say that it cost you £10 to courier your résumé to the head
>> office of Encyclopædia Britanica to apply for the position of Staff
>> Coördinator.
>
> True, but if it cost you $10 (or 10 GBP) to courier your curriculum
> vitae to the head office of Encyclopaedia Britannica to become Staff
> Coordinator, then you'd be fine. And if it cost you $10 to post your
> work summary to Britannica's administration to apply for this Staff
> Coordinator position, you could say it without 'e' too. Doesn't mean you
> don't need Unicode!

Back in the late 1970's, the economy and the outlook in the USA sucked,
and the following joke made the rounds:

Mr. Smith:  Good morning, Mr. Jones.  How are you?

Mr. Jones:  I'm fine.

(The humor is that Mr. Jones had his head so far [in the sand] that he
thought that things were fine.)

American English is my first spoken language, but I know enough French,
Greek, math, and other languages that I am very happy to have more than
ASCII these days.  I imagine that even Steven's surname should be spelled
D’Aprano rather than D'Aprano.

Dan