ANN: Sarge, a library wrapping the subprocess module, has been released.

Anh Hai Trinh anh.hai.trinh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 10:35:08 EST 2012

> It's not hard for the user

I think most users like to use Python, or they'd use Bash. I think people prefer not another language that is different from both, and having little benefits. My own opinion of course.

Re. threads & fork(): http://www.linuxprogrammingblog.com/threads-and-fork-think-twice-before-using-them

For a careful impl of fork-exec with threads, see http://golang.org/src/pkg/syscall/exec_unix.go

> By that token, disasters await if you ever use threads, unless you know what you're doing

So don't, this package is mainly a fork-exec-wait library providing shell-like functionalities. Just use fork().

>  BTW extproc is nice, but I wanted to push the envelope a little :-)

Hmm, if the extra "envelop" is the async code with threads that may deadlock, I would say "thanks but no thanks" :p

I do think that IO redirection is much nicer with extproc.