ANN: Sarge, a library wrapping the subprocess module, has been released.

Anh Hai Trinh anh.hai.trinh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 04:41:16 EST 2012

Having written something with similar purpose (https://github.com/aht/extproc), here are my comments:

* Having command parsed from a string is complicated. Why not just have an OOP API to construct commands? extproc does this, but you opted to write a recursive descent parser. I'm sure it's fun but I think simple is better than complex. Most users would prefer not to deal with Python, not another language.

* Using threads and fork()ing process does not play nice together unless extreme care is taken. Disasters await. For a shell-like library, I would recommend its users to never use threads (so that those who do otherwise know what they are in for).