log and figure out what bits are slow and optimize them.

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Fri Feb 10 18:06:52 EST 2012

In <mailman.5685.1328913452.27778.python-list at python.org> Kev Dwyer <kevin.p.dwyer at gmail.com> writes:

> *Any* instrumentation code is going to affect performance.

Funny story about that...

I wanted to profile some code of mine, and a colleague recommended the
'hotshot' module.

It's pretty easy to use: there are functions to start profiling, stop
profiling and print results.

So I added the function calls and ran my code.... and it took a really
long time.  I mean a REALLY long time.  In fact I eventually had to kill
the process.

I briefly wondered if my coworker was playing a prank on me... then I
realized that I had neglected to call the function to stop profiling!

So when I went to print the results, it was still profiling... endlessly.

(Okay, maybe it wasn't that funny.)

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears