OT (waaaayyyyyyyyy off-topic) [was Re: How can I catch misnamed variables?]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Feb 10 16:56:38 EST 2012

Ben Finney wrote (from signature):
 > “It's a terrible paradox that most charities are driven by religious
 > belief. . . . if you think altruism without Jesus is not altruism,
 > then you're a dick.” —Tim Minchin, 2010-11-28

1) Why is it paradoxical?  If anything it's a sad commentary on those
who don't ascribe to a religion, as it would appear that they care less
for their society.

2) altruism: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of
others... no mention of religion of any kind, or Jesus in particular.

Altruistic-yet-paradoxically-religious-ly yours,
~Ethan~