multiple namespaces within a single module?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Feb 9 16:12:42 EST 2012

Peter Otten wrote:
> jkn wrote:
>
>>     is it possible to have multiple namespaces within a single python
>> module?
>
> Unless you are abusing classes I don't think so.

Speaking of...

<code>
class NameSpace(object):
     def __init__(self, globals):
         self.globals = globals
         self.current_keys = list(globals.keys())
     def __enter__(self):
         return self
     def __exit__(self, *args):
         new_items = []
         for key, value in self.globals.items():
             if key not in self.current_keys and value is not self:
                 new_items.append((key, value))
         for key, value in new_items:
             setattr(self, key, value)
             del self.globals[key]

if __name__ == '__main__':
     with NameSpace(globals()) as a:
         def function():
             print('inside a!')
     with NameSpace(globals()) as b:
         def function():
             print('inside b!')

     a.function()
     b.function()
     print(vars())
</code>

The NameSpace objects do *not* get their own copy of globals(), but for
functions, etc., it should work fine.  As a bonus the above code works
for both 2.x and 3.x.

~Ethan~