difference between random module in python 2.6 and 3.2?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 03:45:30 EST 2012

On 6.2.2012 09:05, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> You have persuaded me that the doc should be more explicit that while
>> the basic random.random sequence will be kept repeatable with seed set
>> (except perhaps after a changeover of several releases), the convenience
>> transformations can be changed if improvements are needed or thought
>> sufficiently desirable.
>
> A more explicit note will help, but the basic problem applies: how do you
> write deterministic tests given that the random.methods (apart from
> random.random itself) can be changed without warning?

Also, how could I write a re-implementation of random.choice which would
work same on python 2.6 and python 3.2? It is not only matter of unit
tests, but I would really welcome if the results on both versions
produce the same results.

Could we get some hint in the release notes?

Thanks for the help,

Matěj