PyCrypto builds neither with MSVC nor MinGW

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 5 11:55:52 EST 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 03:42:08 +1100, Alec Taylor wrote:

> A 4 year old compiler?

Compilers aren't like milk. They don't go off after a few weeks. A good
compiler/operating system combination should still be usable after 4 or
14 years. The compiler I'm using is six years old, and I expect that it
will continue to get patches and upgrades without breaking backwards
compatibility for the next six years.

> I also have MSVC11 installed. Can the python project add support for
> that so that we aren't waiting 5 years between compiler support?

Are you volunteering to provide that support? I'm sure it would be
appreciated.

P.S. Please don't top-post.

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de>
> wrote:
>> Am 05.02.2012 15:40, schrieb Alec Taylor:
>>> PIL, PyCrypto and many other modules require a C compiler and linker.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately neither install on my computer, with a PATH with the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC
>>> C:\libraries\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin
>>> C:\libraries\MinGW

--
Steven