convert perl-script for voltcraft voltmeter to python [newbie]

Jean Dupont jeandupont115 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:11:54 EST 2012

As my request might have been too much asked, I have started doing
some coding myself.
I'm in doubt about the readline statement -which doesn't show anything
received- as the meter sends continuously streams of 11 bytes
Is there a way to just monitor with python what is arriving at a
serial port?

#!/usr/bin/python
#version 1-2-2012, script to read data from voltcraft vc940-meter
import serial, time, os
voltport='/dev/ttyUSB2'
print "Be sure the Voltcraft is connected to ttyUSB2"
print "Enter a filename:",
filename = raw_input()
voltdata = open(filename,'w')
ser2 = serial.Serial(voltport, 2400, 8, serial.PARITY_NONE, 1,
timeout=15)
print "rs-232 parameters of Voltcraft: ", ser2
print "Opening " + ser2.portstr
received=ser2.readline()
print received
print "Goodbye, data logged in file:"