Killing threads, and os.system()

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 3 04:25:36 EST 2012

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 00:14:33 -0800, John Nagle wrote:

> I won't even get into the appalling mess around the Global Interpreter
> Lock.

You know full well that IronPython and Jython don't have a GIL. If the
GIL was as harmful as you repeatedly tell us, why haven't you, and
everyone else, migrated to IronPython and Jython?

Oh yeah, maybe it's because CPython, even with the GIL, is significantly
faster than the two implementations without a GIL. Go figure.

But never mind the facts, spreading the FUD about Python is much more
fun. Hey, I hear that Python 3 is tanking too, and millions of Python
developers are rushing, rushing I say, to port their code to Go. Or was
it Ruby? Possibly Lua. Maybe VBScript.

> This has forced the use of subprocesses where, in other
> languages, you'd use threads.

Only if by "forced" you mean "not forced at all".

http://docs.python.org/library/multiprocessing.html
http://www.stackless.com/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/greenlet/
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/