PyKota, Python: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '_quote'

JohannesTU johannes.exner at tu-dortmund.de
Mon Feb 20 09:57:07 EST 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm new to linux/suse, but I was given the task to install the print
accounting software PyKota.
Before that I never even touched a linux system, so I don't have any basic
knowlegde at all!
Up to now I was able to solve all problems with the help of google, but now
I'm stuck.

My problem:

    linux-6n5c:/usr/local/bin # pkusers --add john paul
    Creation...
    ERROR: PyKota v1.26_official
    ERROR: pkusers failed
    ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
    ERROR:   File "/usr/local/bin/pkusers", line 442, in <module>
    ERROR:     retcode = manager.main(args, options)
    ERROR:   File "/usr/local/bin/pkusers", line 345, in main
    ERROR:     oldentry = getattr(self.storage, "add%s" % suffix)(entry)
    ERROR:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykota/storages/sql.py", line 598,
in addUser
    ERROR:     oldentry = self.getUser(user.Name)
    ERROR:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykota/storage.py", line 623, in
getUser
    ERROR:     user = self.getUserFromBackend(username)
    ERROR:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykota/storages/sql.py", line 355,
in getUserFromBackend
    ERROR:     % self.doQuote(self.userCharsetToDatabase(username)))
    ERROR:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykota/storages/pgstorage.py", line
144, in doQuote
    ERROR:     return pg._quote(field, typ)
    ERROR: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '_quote'

I have no idea how to deal with it or what it even means!

Executing "linux-6n5c:/usr/local/bin # pkusers" works fine and shows me
commands, version number etc.
But adding users or printers (with pkprinters) won't work.

I would be really thankful if anyone could give me some advice or hints how
to solve the problem!

Kind regards
Johannes