Override the interpreter used by multiprocessing subprocesses?

Logan Pugh blah238 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:40:42 EST 2012

Hello,

I am using a product that has a built-in Python interpreter (ESRI ArcGIS
Desktop 10.0 SP3) and have implemented multiprocessing in script that can
be run by a tool within the application using the built-in interpreter.

The way the built-in interpreter works is incompatible with multiprocessing
as it appears to want to start multiple instances of the host application
when the subprocesses are created.

I am using multiprocessing.Pool with the apply_async function. It works
great in a standalone script and I'd rather not rewrite what I've done so
far if I can help it, but if there is a way to simply force the standard
interpreter to be used for the subprocesses that would be ideal.

Thinking about it I realize that this might not be possible due to whatever
messaging, pickling, and queueing that the main processes has to handle for
the subprocesses, but thought I would ask anyways if only for my own
enlightenment.

TIA!