New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 31 17:46:20 EST 2012

Hans Mulder <hansmu at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Don't bother: Python comes with a free IDE named IDLE.

And any decent Unix-alike (most OSen apart from Windows) comes with its
own IDE: the shell, a good text editor (Vim or Emacs being the primary
candidates), and a terminal multiplexor (such as ‘tmux’ or GNU Screen).

Learning to use that development environment will benefit you far more
than any language-specific tool.

--
 \       “I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add.” |
  `\                                                    —Steven Wright |