Question about nested loop

Isaac Won winefrog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 17:11:03 EST 2012

On Monday, December 31, 2012 6:59:34 AM UTC-6, Hans Mulder wrote:
> On 31/12/12 11:02:56, Isaac Won wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I am a very novice for Python. Currently, I am trying to read continuous
>
> > columns repeatedly in the form of array.
>
> > my code is like below:
>

> > import numpy as np
>

> > b = []
>
> > c = 4
>
> > f = open("text.file", "r")
>

> > while c < 10:
>
> >         c = c + 1
>

> >         for  columns in ( raw.strip().split() for raw in f ):
>
> >                 b.append(columns[c])
>

> >         y = np.array(b, float)
>
> >         print c, y
>

> > I thought that  can get the arrays of the columns[5] to [10], but I only
>
> > could get repetition of same arrays of columns[5].
>

> > The result was something like:
>

> > 5 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>
> > 6 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>
> > 7 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>
> > 8 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>
> > 9 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>
> > 10 [1 2 3 4 ......, 10 9 8]
>

> > What I can't understand is that even though c increased incrementally upto 10,
>
> > y arrays stay same.
>

> > Would someone help me to understand this problem more?
>

> That's because the inner loop read from a file until his reaches
>
> the end of the file.  Since you're not resetting the file pointer,
>
> during the second and later runs of the outer loop, the inner loop
>
> starts at the end of the file and terminates without any action.
>

> You'd get more interesting results if you rewind the file:
>

> import numpy as np
>

> b = []
>
> c = 4
>
> f = open("text.file", "r")
>

> while c < 10:
>
>         c = c + 1
>

>         f.seek(0,0)
>
>         for  columns in ( raw.strip().split() for raw in f ):
>
>                 b.append(columns[c])
>

>         y = np.array(b, float)
>
>         print c, y
>

> It's a bit inefficient to read the same file several times.
>
> You might consider reading it just once.  For example:
>

> import numpy as np
>

> b = []
>

> f = open("text.file", "r")
>
> data = [ line.strip().split() for line in f ]
>
> f.close()
>

> for c in xrange(5, 11):
>
>         for row in data:
>
>                 b.append(row[c])
>

>         y = np.array(b, float)
>
>         print c, y
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> -- HansM

Hi Hans,

I appreciate your advice and kind tips.

The both codes which you gave seem pretty interesting.

Both look working for incrementing inner loop number, but the results of y are added repeatedly such as [1,2,3],[1,2,3,4,5,6], [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]. Anyhow, really thank you for your help and I will look at this problem more in detail.

Isaac