New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 01:40:31 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Westley Martínez <anikom15 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I only use vim for everything.  IDEs just seem to get in my way.

I've just (like ten minutes ago) come across a perfect example of what
makes an IDE useful. My mother maintains a collection of documents
(book indexes, historical records, catalogs of items the society owns,
etc) in a word processor called DeScribe. She just wanted to add a
plain text file to the collection, such that she can search it for a
text string (it's an OCR transcription of an old book, I think), and
put it into DeScribe even though it doesn't need any of its
facilities, just so it'd be there with all her others. An IDE is the
right thing for her. For me, though, it's no value.

ChrisA