Source code of Windows installer for Python interactive interpreter

philip.a.molloy at gmail.com philip.a.molloy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 10:30:25 EST 2012

I am writing a command-line application for Windows. I would like to review the Python source code to find out how to install my application so that it doesn't have to be called using the path and file name (i.e. being able to type `python` into the Command prompt, instead of `C:\path\to\executable\python.exe`). How does Python achieve this?

Is the Python directory (i.e. "C:\Python33") assigned to the PATH variable using the Batch PATH built-in command? If so, where?

The Python language source code[1] includes two seemingly relevant directories, `PC` and `PCbuild`. Otherwise I'm lost. This is likely a very simple statement buried in the complex Python source code.

Thanks,
Phil

[1]: http://www.python.org/download/releases/