New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

gst g.starck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 07:08:21 EST 2012

Le jeudi 27 décembre 2012 21:01:16 UTC+1, mogul a écrit :
> 'Aloha!

holà !

> I'm new to python, got 10-20 years perl and C experience, all gained on unix alike machines hacking happily in vi, and later on in vim.

About same than me, though I had not to use/work with perl for new projects, only in maintaining some existing stuffs in some previous jobs.

> Now it's python, and currently mainly on my kubuntu desktop.
>
> Do I really need a real IDE, as the windows guys around me say I do, or will vim, git, make and other standalone tools make it the next 20 years too for me?

Obviously I have same comments than others ;) though I think it mainly depends on the project.. I do think/experience that big projects get some real advantage of advanced IDE, like eclipse/pycharm and others "big" python IDE. Now which one to use is mainly a matter of taste, as always.

as others said: welcome to the club :)

> I should have made the switch much earlier!

Don't be afraid of the late switch : you'll very quickly make amazing stuffs with Python and anyway it's (always) better late than never and it could be better now than some few years ago (I begin to make the switch about 3-4 years ago and now I have the luck to work for a company where I'm 100% working with Python :)).
Python3(.2+) effectively corrects some, I'd say, youth problems related to python2 and it's now quite highly deployed and about all majors libraries are already supporting it, if not they are about all on their way to do it sooner than later ;)

> /mogul %-)

good work/fun with Python,

greg.