New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:30:42 EST 2012

> 'Aloha!
>
> I'm new to python, got 10-20 years perl and C experience, all gained on unix
> alike machines hacking happily in vi, and later on in vim.
>
> Now it's python, and currently mainly on my kubuntu desktop.
>
> Do I really need a real IDE, as the windows guys around me say I do, or will
> vim, git, make and other standalone tools make it the next 20 years too for
> me?
>
> Oh, by the way, after 7 days I'm completely in love with this python thing.
> I should have made the switch much earlier!
>
> /mogul %-)

No. If you want to test one out, great. If not, it's totally not required. I
use jEdit (text editor) and a bunch of command line tools on FreeBSD. I've
tried various IDEs and have yet to find one I totally agree with. Yet, I know
guys who use them and wouldn't part with them 'til death. I always end up back
in a customized text editor and a *nix command shell. I prefer it.

There's a lot of *very* skilled programmers in both camps.
-Modulok-