New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Walter Hurry walterhurry at lavabit.com
Thu Dec 27 16:16:02 EST 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 12:01:16 -0800, mogul wrote:

> 'Aloha!
>
> I'm new to python, got 10-20 years perl and C experience, all gained on
> unix alike machines hacking happily in vi, and later on in vim.
>
> Now it's python, and currently mainly on my kubuntu desktop.
>
> Do I really need a real IDE, as the windows guys around me say I do, or
> will vim, git, make and other standalone tools make it the next 20 years
> too for me?

If you don't want an IDE, don't use one (I don't). Just use whatever text
editor you prefer. Although I avoid the editor wars, one advantage of vi
is that it's always available on client *nix sites. Handy if you move
around.

One suggestion though: It's probably a good idea not to post to this list
using G**gle Groups. Many will ignore such posts.