[Help] [Newbie] Require help migrating from Perl to Python 2.7 (namespaces)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Dec 27 00:02:43 EST 2012

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:07:53 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:

> My specific point is that the English word "variable" is unambiguous

I'm sorry, do you mean "variable" the noun, or "variable" the adjective?

If you mean the adjective, do you mean something which naturally changes,
in the sense that the amount of rainfall is naturally variable, or a
collection of independent things which individually are constant but
collectively vary, such as the heights of children in a classroom are
variable?

If you mean the noun, do you mean a factor which is likely to vary, as in
"the weather is one variable to consider", or a quantity that is capable
of taking on a multitude of values, or a symbol which represents a fixed
but unknown quantity?

If you're going to claim that an English word is unambiguous, you
probably should choose an example with only one meaning.

> we should NEVER
> re-interpret existing words (in an illogical manner) whilst transforming
> them into specific disciplines.

I'm sorry yet again, did you mean "discipline" in the sense of
punishment, "discipline" in the sense of learning by instruction and
exercise, "discipline" in the sense of submission to authority, or
"discipline" in the sense of a field of study?

I am sorry[1] to ignore the main points of your post in favour of
attacking the very foundations of your argument, but if you build your
argument on counter-factuals (assumptions about English language which
are not, in fact, true) then even if your reasoning is utterly logical in
every step, the conclusion is still dubious.

[1] Ah who am I kidding?

--
Steven