Parsing files in python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 24 06:29:23 EST 2012

On 12/23/2012 11:05 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> But other than that, yes, Python's a good choice for this. (I find it
> amusing how I said "yeah, good idea to make a DSL, I wonder if you can
> capitalize on Python" and you said "don't make a DSL, maybe you can
> capitalize on Python" - opposite opening argument, same conclusion and
> recommendation.)

I am aware that every substantial module, let alone package, defines a
domain-specific extension or vocabulary. str.format and struct even have
their own mini-language (which people tend to forget if not used
regularly). What I meant was to not invent a domain-specific base
language and syntax that is a complete replacement for an existing one.

--
Terry Jan Reedy