Python, email temperature

No One atsidi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 16:53:46 EST 2012

On 2012-12-22, KarlE <ranstam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:44:39 PM UTC+1, Joel Goldstick wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Alexander Ranstam <ran... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>

>> Im totally new to Python, and im using it on my Raspberry pi. I found a program that sends an email, and one that checks the temperature of my CPU, but i cant seem to combine the to into the funktion that i want, sending me the CPU temp via Email.
>>

>> The two programs work very well on their own, but this doesnt work.
>>

>> this works: server.sendmail(fromaddr, toaddrs, msg)
>>
>> but this doesnt: server.sendmail(fromaddr, toaddrs, cpu_temperature)
>>

>> despite the command "print cputemp" working in the same program.
>>

>> When i run the program i get the error:
>>

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>
>> ? File "sendcpu.py", line 36, in <module>
>>
>> ? ? msg = cpu_temperature
>>
>> NameError: name 'cpu_temperature' is not defined
>>

>> Does anyone know why the program claims that cpu_temperature isnt defined, when it is?
>>

>> You should copy and paste the code here including the context around the error.? You say print cputemp works, but cpu_temperature is not defined.? They are spelled differently.? Start there
>>

>> Thanx!
>>

>> //Alexander
>>

>> --

>> --
>> Joel Goldstick
>
> Hi!
>
> I made a typing error, and couldnt edit the post :( this is the code:
>

> #!/usr/bin/env python
> from __future__ import division
> from subprocess import PIPE, Popen
> import psutil
> import smtplib
>
> def get_cpu_temperature():
>     process = Popen(['vcgencmd', 'measure_temp'], stdout=PIPE)
>     output, _error = process.communicate()
>     return float(output[output.index('=') + 1:output.rindex("'")])
>

> def main():
>     cpu_temperature = get_cpu_temperature()
>     cpu_usage = psutil.cpu_percent()
>
>     ram = psutil.phymem_usage()
>     ram_total = ram.total / 2**20       # MiB.
>     ram_used = ram.used / 2**20
>     ram_free = ram.free / 2**20
>     ram_percent_used = ram.percent
>
>     disk = psutil.disk_usage('/')
>     disk_total = disk.total / 2**30     # GiB.
>     disk_used = disk.used / 2**30
>     disk_free = disk.free / 2**30
>     disk_percent_used = disk.percent
>     #
>     # Print top five processes in terms of virtual memory usage.
>     #
>     print 'CPU temperature is: ',  cpu_temperature
>
> fromaddr = 'myemailadress'
> toaddrs  = 'myemailadress'
> #msg = 'There was a terrible error that occured and I wanted you to know!'
> msg = cpu_temperature
>
> # Credentials (if needed)
> username = 'myusername'
> password = 'mypassword'
>
> # The actual mail send
> server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com:587')
> [...]

You might have a look at the indentation, as well. At least on my reader, the lines from "fromaddr =" to "server.quit()" are in a left indented block from the main function. You probably want to get them all in the same indentation level to solve the scope issue. Also, on the code as it copies to my editor there are mixed tabs and spaces. If your code also mixes tabs and spaces, pick one (spaces preferred over tabs) and make sure to eliminate the other.

Norm.