Py 3.3, unicode / upper()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 20 17:59:31 EST 2012

On 12/20/2012 2:19 PM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

> My feeling is that most of the people are defending this FSR simply
> because it exists, not because of its intrisic quality.

The fact, contrary to your feeling, is that I was initially dubious that
is could be made to work as well as it does. I was only really convinced
when I ran stringbench in response to your over-genralized assertions.

It is also a fact that I proposed on the tracker and pydev list a
different method of fixing the length and index bugs in narrow builds.
It only saved space relative to wide builds but did not have the
additional space-saving of the new scheme for ascii and latin-1 text.

--
Terry Jan Reedy