Py 3.3, unicode / upper()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 20 17:48:04 EST 2012

On 12/20/2012 2:40 PM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

> What should a Python user think, if he sees his strings
> are comsuming more memory just because he uses non ascii
> characters

What should a Python user think, if he (or she) sees his (or her)
strings sometimes or often consuming less memory than they did previously?

I think the person should be grateful that people volunteered to make
the improvement, rather than ungratefully bitch about it.

 > or he sees his strings are changing just because
> he "uppercases" them.

Uppercasing strings is supposed to change strings.

> Unicode is here to serve anybody.

This we agree on. Python3.3 unicode serves everybody better than 3.2 does.

--
Terry Jan Reedy