Py 3.3, unicode / upper()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 20 17:30:24 EST 2012

On 12/20/2012 2:57 PM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:

> I shew a case where the Py33 works 10 times slower than Py32,
> "replace". You the devs spend your time to correct that case.

I discovered that it is the 'find' part of find and replace that is
slower. The comparison is worse on Windows than on *nix. There is an
issue on the tracker so it may be improved someday. Most devs are not
especially bothered and would rather fix errors as part of their
volunteer work.

> Now, if I'm putting on the table an exemple working 20 times
> slower. Will you spend your time to optimize that?
>
> I'm affraid, this is the FSR which is problematic, not the
> corner cases.

I showed another case where 3.3 is a thousand, a million times faster
than 3.2. Does that make the old way 'problematic'?

Don't you think that the bugs (wrong answers) in narrow builds to be
'problematic'? Do you really think that getting wrong answers faster is
better that getting right answers possibly slower?

The 'find' operation is just 1 of about 30 that are tested by
stringbench.py. Run that on 3.3 and 3.2, as I did, before talking about
FSR as 'problematic'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy