Build and runtime dependencies

Jack Silver jacksilver045 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:11:45 EST 2012

I have two Linux From Scratch machine.

On the first one (the server), I want to build install python 3.3.0 in a
shared filesystem and access it from the second one (the client). These
machines are fairly minimal in term of the number of software installed. I
just want to install python on this filesystem and anything else.

I would like to know what are the build and runtime dependencies that are
needed on both machine.

My understanding is that the core CPython interpreter only needs a C
compiler to be built. For the extension modules, I think that only the
development headers of some additional libraries are needed on the server
machine. Hence, I do not need to install all those libraries on the client
machine. Right ?

I would like to build as much module I can, so I have a complete python
installation. Here is the list of dependecies I think I need to install on
the server machine :

expat
bzip2
gdbm
openssl
libffi
zlib
tk
sqlite
valgrind
bluez

anything ? Is there anything I need to install on the client too ?

Thanks

Jack