Brython - Python in the browser

Pierre Quentel pierre.quentel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:37:49 EST 2012

Le jeudi 20 décembre 2012 01:07:15 UTC+1, Terry Reedy a écrit :
> On 12/19/2012 1:19 PM, Pierre Quentel wrote:
>

> > The objective of Brython is to replace Javascript by Python as the
>
> > scripting language for web browsers, making it usable on all
>
> > terminals including smartphones, tablets, connected TVs, etc. Please
>
> > forgive the lack of ambition ;-)
>

> This sounds similar to pyjs, but the latter has two big problems: a)
>
> personality conflicts splits among the developers; b) last I knew, it
>
> was stuck on Python 2.

It is indeed different from pyjs : both translate Python into Javascript, but with Brython the translation is done on the fly by the browser, with pyjs is is done once by a Python script

> I think your home page/doc/announcement should specify Python 3 at the
>
> top, so it is not a mystery until one reads down to
>
> "Brython supports most keywords and functions of Python 3 : "

Done on the home page

> "lists are created with [] or list(), tuples with () or tuple(),
>
> dictionaries with {} or dict() and sets with set()"
>

> non-empty sets are also created with {} and you should support that.

Ok, I put this point in the issue tracker

> > The best introduction is to visit the Brython site
>
> > (http://www.brython.info).
>

> That says that my browser, Firefox 17, does not support HTML5. Golly
>
> gee. I don't think any browser support5 all of that moving target, and
>
> Gecko apparently supports about as large a subset as most.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_%28HTML5%29
>
> It is possible the FF still does not support the particular feature
>
> needed for the clock, but then the page should say just that. Has the
>
> latest FF (17) actually been tested?

I changed the error message adding "or Javascript is turned off"

> > To create an element, for instance an HTML anchor :
>
> > doc <= A('Python',href="http://www.python.org")
>

> To me, that is a awful choice and I urge you to change it.
>

> '<=' is not just an operator, it is a comparison operator. It normally
>
> return False or True. Numpy array comparison returns arrays of booleans,
>
> so the meaning is extended, not completely changed. People will often be
>
> using it with its normal mean in conditionals elsewhere, so this usage
>
> creates strong cognitive dissonance. Also, using an expression as a
>
> statement is allowed, but except in the interactive interpreter, it only
>
> makes sense with an expression that obviously has side-effects or could
>
> have side-effects (like the expression 'mylist.sort()'. It just looks
>
> wrong to an experienced Python programmer like me.
>

> It also is unnecessary. Use '+=' or '|='. The former means just what you
>
> want the statement to do and the latter is at least somewhat related
>
> (bit or-addition) and is rarely used and is very unlikely to be used in
>
> code intended for a browser.

I'm afraid I am going to disagree. The document is a tree structure, and today Python doesn't have a syntax for easily manipulating trees. To add a child to a node, using an operator instead of a function call saves a lot of typing ; <= looks like a left arrow, which is a visual indication of the meaning "receive as child". |= doesn't have this arrow shape

+= is supported by Brython, but it means something different. <= means "add child" ; the addition operator + means "add brother"

For instance,

d = UL(LI('test1'))
d += UL(LI('test2'))
doc <= d

will show two unordered lists at the same level, while

d = UL(LI('test1'))
d <= UL(LI('test2'))
doc <= d

will nest the second list inside the first one

In fact, even in CPython there could be a built-in tree class that could be managed by a syntax such as this one