Py 3.3, unicode / upper()

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:17:36 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM,  <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
> But, this is not the problem.
> I was suprised to discover this:

> 'STRASSE'
>
> I really, really do not know what I should think about that.
> (It is a complex subject.) And the real question is why?

Not all strings can be uppercased and lowercased cleanly. Please stop
trotting out the old Box Hill-to-Camberwell arguments[1] yet again.

For comparison, try this string:

'𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨, 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝!'.upper()

And while you're at it, check out sys.getsizeof() on that sort of
string, compare your beloved 3.2 on that. Oh, and also check out len()
on it.

[1] Melbourne's current ticketing system is based on zones, and
Camberwell is in zone 1, and Box Hill in zone 2. Detractors of public
transport point out that it costs far more to take the train from Box
Hill to Camberwell than it does to drive a car the same distance. It's
the same contrived example that keeps on getting trotted out time and
time again.

ChrisA