Delete dict and subdict items of some name

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:30:48 EST 2012

This problem is solved, I am so proud of myself for figuring it out! After reading some of these ideas I discovered the plist is really lists underneath any "Children" key:

from plistlib import readPlist

def explicate(listDicts):
	for dict in listDicts:
		if 'FavIcon' in dict:
			del dict['FavIcon']
		if 'Children' in dict:
			dict['Children']=explicate(dict['Children'])
	return listDicts

listDicts=readPlist(TARGET_FILE)['Children']
explicate(listDicts)
print(listDicts)

This plist is used by the Mac browser iCab for bookmarks. Removing the Favicon data shrinks the file by about 99% and speeds uploading.

I am glad everyone had a nice discussion about my question, but it wasn't really accurate. Sorry bout that!

-- Gnarlie